Fail.... Double fail! 07/03/2010
So the EEE spent my whole shift and half of the day cooking on that STL of a gear. I knew it had the off chance of not working since it was a part from the reprap site. It turns out, had I bothered to look, that the teeth of the gear have a bevel to to them that could be printed on an additive machine but not cut on a subtractive machine. Long story short 12 hours later I got an error telling me of this fact. What was cool is that it still produced the tool paths for up until it came to finishing of the bottom side that it couldnt work on. The bad news is before I saved that I tried to play with some experimental feature, locked it up, and had to xKill it. :) No worries though. Live and learn. Im still on the hunt for a good 3D CAD program thats free in Linux. 3DCAM seems cool but I couldnt manage to even draw a box. Qcad only supports up to 2.5D and only outputs DXF. Im currently looking into Salome. That was the huge file seen downloading in one of the last screen shots. Im going to transfer that to the HP laptop since it has better specs and a much bigger screen. its was 1.3 "GBs" (<---reference to Evo vs. iPhone 4 video on youtube lol). I dont know what Im going to do at work tonight. I almost wish I had brought the HP to work on this. Heres another screen shot showing the beveled edges that I should have looked at to see it would fail. Fun stuff!